Orienteering: permanent course
A favourite competition venue, we now have some virtual courses here.
A new venture to help people make the most of the outdoors following lockdown.
- Orienteering is a workout for body and mind. It gets you out into the fresh air and takes you off the beaten track.
- Suitable for individuals or families, it is perfect as a socially-distanced activity.
What to Do
- First off, download the map. See the links below to get the one you want.
- Next, print it out (or if you don't have a printer, save it onto your 'phone). I'd recommend printing on waterproof paper or putting it into a polypocket.
- Familiarise yourself with the key - if you've not used an orienteering map before, the hardest thing to get used to is woodland being white.
- Get to the start. Directions to the parking are below, and once there, the starts are all up the track and on the left. Do not drive up or park on the track.
- Run/jog/walk your chosen course.
We have two virtual courses where you are tracked using the GPS on your phone. These are Long Easy and Short Easy. Hard courses will be ready soon...
Sited on the edge of the Blackdowns, Culm Davy is easily accessed by car from Wellington and Taunton.
Please park on one of the laybys along the road.
Wrangway Road, Wellington Hill, TA21 9QH
- Do not go if you have any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Wash your hands throughly before going out.
- Park carefully, avoiding getting too close to others.
- Please leave at least 2m between yourself and others not in your household. Remember that when running, you could be spreading virus further than when standing still, particularly in your wake.
- If someone is already at a control, wait. You can pause your time if you want.
- Overtake carefully. Perhaps wait for wide grassed areas instead of trying to do it on a narrow path.
- Be respectful to other users who may be there for a gentle walk or sit down.
- Wash your hands as soon as possible afterwards.