Orienteering: permanent course
We have a good selection of courses on offer at Longrun Meadow in Taunton.
- Orienteering is a workout for body and mind. It gets you out into the fresh air and takes you off the beaten track.
- Suitable for individuals or families, it is perfect as a socially-distanced activity.
What to Do
- First off, download the map. See the links below to get the one you want.
- Next, print it out (or if you don't have a printer, save it onto your 'phone). I'd recommend printing on waterproof paper or putting it into a polypocket.
- Familiarise yourself with the key - if you've not used an orienteering map before, the hardest thing to get used to is woodland being white.
- Get to the start. Directions to Longrun Meadow are below, and once there, the starts are all in the vicinity of the Weir Cafe.
- Run/jog/walk your chosen course.
We have one traditional course where you look for wooden posts and note down the letters/numbers. There is also the option to scan a QR code with an app on your phone.
We have five virtual courses where you are tracked using the GPS on your phone. These are Score, Long Easy, Long Hard, Short Easy, Short Hard.
Sited on the western side of Taunton, it is easily accessible on foot from anywhere in the town. Parking is possible at the Tangiers carpark and sometimes behind Somerset College. If you combine it with a shopping trip, there is always Tescos.
The Weir, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 1AW
- Do not go if you have any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Wash your hands throughly before going out.
- Park carefully, avoiding getting too close to others.
- Please leave at least 2m between yourself and others not in your household. Remember that when running, you could be spreading virus further than when standing still, particularly in your wake.
- If someone is already at a control, wait. You can pause your time if you want.
- Overtake carefully. Perhaps wait for wide grassed areas instead of trying to do it on a narrow path.
- Be respectful to other users who may be there for a gentle walk or sit down.
- Wash your hands as soon as possible afterwards.