for QOADs/ MapRun events
An aide memoire for these event nights, which are low-key street-based races run from public or pub car parks, with the entire event run from smart phones.
Entries are open 5-7pm. Courses close at 8pm.
- Try to be at the assembly area 15 mins ahead of course opening time. Some form of illumination would be useful. Umbrella at the ready!
- Operate from car/van with registration slips, float (£40), maps, course codes, CD’s, smart phones (4 for hire), headlamps (4 for hire), and any previously supplied registration slips.
- On arrival, competitors should complete (or hand in) registration slips, unless supplied previously on-line. Ensuring they have mobile phone numbers of their smart phones and next-of-kin. Boards are useful to support form being completed.
- Collect fee. £5 per smartphone being used. Juniors must be accompanied. Hire charges £1; £40 charge for lost smartphone.
- Explain option of Long or Short course. Time allowed 50 min before penalties. Values of controls vary.
- Check smart phone variant - iOS or Android.
- Check carrier (on arm)
- Check head lamp.
- Check motor chair lamps of disabled competitors
- MapRun app loaded
- Correct course loaded (MR UK - Somerset - Future. Then choice of Long or short course)
- supply appropriate code (4 digit) for course selected (though codes are generally set to expire shortly before the event)
- GPS enabled
- GPS ‘ready to start’ on the app (note: MapRun F doesn't have a 'Start the GPS' button like the older app does)
-correct ‘timed out’ setting – preferably ‘never’
- Supply map and CDs (if required). Emergency phone number shown on map. Return by 8pm
- Check ‘Start’ registers and time counting down from 50 min.
- Useful aid: clipboard and list of entrants and start times.
- At end of run, check ‘Finish’ registers.
- Upload results and report to organiser (may be in pub!)
JOIN SOCIAL GATHERING TO COMPARE RESULTS AND MAKE COMPLAINTS!
Roger and Judy Craddock, February 2019
Updated by Jeff Pakes, January 2020