Young Leader Award
An assistant coach award for 14-19yos
The British Orienteering Young Leader Award is aimed to get teenagers started at coaching and putting on events.
Essential: Some experience of orienteering (up to Yellow courses).
Desirable: Have taken part in competitive orienteering events.
On passing the course, participants may:
- lead training in enclosed areas, such as school grounds
- assist with training in other areas
- put on an event using an existing course in enclosed areas
- assist with putting on events in other areas
This is a 6-hour course. Normally it would be done face to face as a series of short sessions or as a single day. However, during COVID-19 restrictions, some aspects will be covered remotely.
Participants are assessed on an ongoing basis during the course. This is normally through assignments and observations fo dummy lessons. During COVID-19 restrictions, some aspects could be assessed by remote assignments and videoed sessions.
- Intro and the Step System
- Map Drawing and Setting
- Map Games
- Cone Courses
- Map Symbols and Colours
- Map Walks
- Star Exercises
- Linear Courses
- Other Competition Formats
- Helping at Local Events