Download final details v2
Spunch is a concept devised by Andy Thornton of MDOC, designed to bridge the gap between runners and orienteers. Studies have shown that one of the biggest blockers to runners participating in an orienteering event is the unfamiliarity with the map, and SPUNCH deals with this by using an Ordnance Survey basemap.
SPUNCH uses the app 'MapRun', which is essentially a GPS treasure hunt app. Turn up your volume and when you run through a checkpoint, you get a satisfying 'ping'. You have 50 checkpoints to choose from and your goal is to visit as many as possible in your allotted time. The events are based around rural villages with high footpath density and the courses are set over a variety of lanes and public rights of way. SPUNCH allows you to discover lovely paths and tracks with great views. It can be done solo, in a pair or as a group. Walk or run, the choice is yours! Newcomers are welcome and there will be help to hand on the day to get you started. Suitable for all ages and abilities and great for family and friends too.
How it Will Work
- Just before you leave to come to the event, load the event onto your device. You can use one of these direct links on your device (90 mins / 60 mins). You must be using MapRun6 or 7.
- When you tap Go to Start, you will be presented with a countdown to the start.
- At 1845, ie 15 minutes before the start, the map and controls will appear on your screen.
- At 1900 the start will automatically punch and your time begins. Unless you are still driving in and are over 1km away, so lets hope that doesn't apply to anyone.
- Do a quick check that the start has punched (turned green) on your screen and off you go. You have 60 or 90 minutes depending on which course you have chosen.
- At the end of your run, whether it is before or after the time limit, you must punch the finish.
- It will then attempt to upload your results automatically. If you don't have a good data signal, eg. you have data turned off, this will fail. When you get to a good signal or wifi, manually upload.
Courses: Long (90mins) and Short (60mins)
Both courses use the same map, with the same number of available (checkpoints). The route you take between them is completely up to you!
All checkpoints visited are worth 20 points.
The aim is to get the highest score in your alloted time.
You will lose 10 points for every 1 minute (or part of) you go over the time limit!
Please download the app 'Maprun 6' prior to arriving and download your respective course. Pin numbers will be provided on arrival to the course area.
Costs: £5 per adult.
£3 for students / 16-20yr olds
Under 16s go free when running with an adult. Under 16s cannot run unaccompanied due to the occasional presence of cars in the course area.
Registration & Start Times
Spaxton village hall car park. Mass start at 7pm.
Registration from 6:30pm to 6:50pm.
Limited entry on the day 6:15pm onwards. Cash or card. First come first served.
Contacts / Officials
Planner / Organiser: Ollie Rant OliverRant@outlook.com
Controller: Robin Fieldhouse