Quantocks Challenge 2021
Sat 31 Jul to Sun 22 Aug
Level of event:
Type of event:
A long-o score course using MapRunF on a day of your choosing in the first three weeks of August.
There are two classes - the full challenge and the short challenge. Both can be run individually or as a team.
Check out last year's trial event and its review to see the kind of thing...
The start is at the Crowcombe Park Gate car park and the finish is at the Wilmot's Pool car park. The course covers the open access area south as far as Lydeard Hill, north west as far as Staple Plain, and north east as far as Dowsborough Hillfort.
Have a sneaky advance look at the terrain...
The full challenge uses two maps at 1:25000. The colouring and symbology is the standard orienteering system.
The short challenge uses just Map 1.
How it Works
The course will use the MapRunF app. You can install it from here.
The map will have a PIN on it that will allow you to download the course onto the app.
Make sure that audible notifications are turned on on your device. It is also worth ensuring that all other apps are stopped and that your wifi, data and Bluetooth are off in order to save battery. Turning your screen off once you've started will make a big difference to whether your battery will last the course, though in some devices this can cause it to go to sleep and need waking up at each control.
When you are ready, tap on 'Go to Start'. You should get a noise, and possibly vibration, when it registers you have reached the start. The start triangle on your screen should also go green. Your time has started!
Every control you visit should alert you in the same way, often just as you approach it. If you are sure it should have clocked you at a control but didn't, move on - if that happens, you will be able to raise a HITMO after the run which will send your GPS track to a human to review.
Make sure you punch the finish, however well or badly you think you did. Turn your data back on, or wait until you have a wifi connection, and upload the results.
You might want to try out one of our permanent courses beforehand to make sure the app is working right.
- Each control is worth a certain number of points, determined by the first digit (25 and 27 both score 20 points; 45 and 49 both score 40 points; etc.)
- You can visit them in any order between the start and the finish and do not have to get them all.
- Make sure you finish in time - 30 points are deducted for every minute you take over the time limit (1 second over loses 30 points; 2m50 over loses 90 points; etc.)
- Under-18s must be supervised.
- Exercise caution. Whilst we have done what we can to minimise risk, the course does involve some hazards, including road crossings.
- Ensure you are properly clothed and equipped for the weather on the day. If the weather is forecast to be extreme, consider doing it on a different day.
- Carry a whistle. In an emergency blow six blasts every other minute. Do not stop until help is with you.
- In an emergency, dial 999 and ask for Police then Mountain Rescue. Be prepared to give your location using a grid reference from the map or using W3W.
- Leave word of what you are doing with a responsible person, along with instruction to call out Mountain Rescue if they don't hear from you by a given time.
- Please read and follow the NHS advice on ticks.
Watch this space. We hope to be able to announce sponsored prizes shortly...
Directions / Parking
Park at Crowcombe Park Gate or any of the other carparks along the top road.
A 5hr score course.
It will use a 1:25000 map on two sides of A4. All controls will be on or very near paths.
A 3hr score course.
It will use a 1:25000 map on one side of A4. All controls will be on or very near paths.
Registration & Start Times
There is no physical registration or download. You may complete your run any day between 31st July and 22nd August (inclusive).
Mostly open moorland with some forest areas.
A Few Rules
The courses must be done on foot.
If running as a team, all members of the team must visit each control. No relays.
Areas marked Out Of Bounds must be avoided. We will add penalties or even disqualify anyone whose GPS track shows they went through one.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Alasdair Shaw firstname.lastname@example.org